There were a few hours I wanted to carve out my ovaries with a spoon (to which I'm sure many of you can relate), but by the time lunch was halfway done, I was perfectly fine. Maybe it's because fourth hour was super awesome today in sight-reading while third hour fell on their faces. Those seventh grade boys are insanely squirrelly, but when they go for it, they sound fantastic. Lizzy asked them at one point to sing like they were twenty, and their sound became so much rounder and fuller that I turned around from the reading I was doing in my little corner.
My lesson with first hour on form went okay. My main objective was allowing them to experience different forms in music, and I guided them through the form of some songs. Before they left this class at the end of the day (because it was unclear if I would be teaching again tomorrow), I wanted them to at least hear different forms from what they hear every day. By the end of my half of class tomorrow, one goal is for them to be able to identify all the sections in Queen's "Bicycle Race," by performing specific actions for each section. If I had another day, we would compose contrasting phrases and put them together into different forms to perform. For now, however, we're arranging and rearranging melody cards we've been using in class.
In case you're wondering, "Bicycle Race" is in rondo form: ABACADBA.
And maybe a tertiary goal of mine is to get "Bicycle Race" stuck in all the sixth graders heads for the rest of the day. [insert evil cackle here]
**I in fact adore Jaws and really enjoy Star Wars...at least the film that was out when this song was released
No comments:
Post a Comment