Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Math Addiction

I started using math early. Heck, I don't even remember a time when I didn't know 2+2. I figured hey, if the teacher shows it to me it must be okay, right? I mean, if it gets me good grades, I guess I'll keep using it.

By the time I finished middle school, I'd moved onto harder stuff: Algebra. I'd always heard kids on TV talking about Algebra, but I didn't think it would happen to me.

High school was when my math issues started to spiral out of control. 9th grade hit, and I was on the accelerated track: accelerated geometry, algebra 2, finally accelerated pre-calc. I reached a point where my parents couldn't help me, and "calc" was a dirty, four-letter word in our household. I couldn't even go to my friends for help. All my teachers told me was that I needed it for real life, so I couldn't stop taking it. I was past all hope, as far as I knew.

Senior year, it hit me: I don't have to live this way. I took Humanities and my math problems were over. I've been clean for three years now, not counting when a prof tried to get me to use the "real world" stuff in college.

~~
That, dear readers, is what happens when you put me in a kitchen for seven hours with the oldies station playing the same meth addiction and recovery PSA's every fifteen minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment