Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Lolloping lolloping lolloping

While sorting through toys, games, and books in our basement tonight, Linden and I stumbled upon our parents' Poldark books. We knew they had read them and a few years ago they re-read them, so we asked mum how they were. She gushed about them, and we knew our father would just do the same.

"Oh they're very dramatic and romantic," was the phrase that made my decision for me.

"You know what? I'm going to read these this summer. Yes. That is what I am going to do." So I found the first book in the lot and glanced at the first page of the prologue.

I first noticed the word "lolloping" and decided I was going to enjoy this. Then I noticed the first dialogue:
"Well, Joshua."
"Well, Charles."
"This is a bad business."
"Bad indeed."
Then I decided I was going to enjoy this quite a lot. [Not to be confused with "Quite, alot."]

I'm a little daunted by the prospect of reading an entire saga in addition to Infinite Jest this summer, but it'll be a little easier because it makes for good bedtime reading!

Also, "lolloping" is a very silly word, and deserves to be used far more often.

"Susie! Stop lolloping down the hallway! You're going to fall and break your coccyx!"
"The deer went lolloping through the forest, singing about how happy they were to be alive."
"A semi came lolloping down the freeway, splattering any singing deer who lolloped into its way."
"The models came lolloping down the runway."

Okay, maybe that last one doesn't quite work. I've been watching too much America's Next Top Tahhruhh's BFF.

No comments:

Post a Comment