I'm not going to post about what I was thinking, because it was a bunch of depressing stuff that was brought on in large part by a) overthinking everything as is my tendency, and 2) the Communists in the funhouse. As tempting as it was to write something on the internet for everyone to see when I only mean it for a few people, I decided I'd pass.
Today will be a day of rest, working on a blanket with my mother, and hopefully some reading. What am I reading, you ask? Well my main goal is to finish David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest by September 13, as I started reading it on the same date in 2009 after picking it up in Chicago.
It's been a goal of mine for a few years to read it, and I finally decided to just go for it. I'm glad I didn't do any research on the subject of reading it beforehand, as I probably would have gotten scared or been like, "Whoa this is too much, I'll just take the Wikipedia summary."I started reading it on the train back from Chicago, and after reading the foreword by Dave Eggers, I was determined to finish it in a year. I took a break from it for most of spring semester because it was just too draining to get back into while I was worrying about all the other things going on in the music program, but as of the China trip I am back with a vengeance. I even checked out a bit of the Infinite Summer blog from last year (which I'm glad I didn't do; I would have been way too intimidated). According to the how-to page, I have already done 8/11 things right! As far as 9-11 go, I'll probably pick up this reader's guide if they have it at Barnes & Noble or Borders. I will probably check out the online resources, but I might wait to read the rather lengthy study by Greg Carlisle until after I finish reading it. It'll be a good way to asses my understanding, I think.
I was going to write about yesterday's visit to the doctor's office, but this came out instead. Whatever.
No comments:
Post a Comment