Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Find out what it means to me.

Yesterday there was no post because I didn't feel like ranting about the cynicism of our seminar instructor. Or the fact that most people in our class don't know how to write succinct and easy-to-remember classroom rules posters.

Today, however, was the first day of "real" class at Longbourn Middle School since last Tuesday, as most of last week constituted exams. It was also the first day of the new semester.

This meant certain students got switched around the choirs, ruining the whole groove of the system that was working so well a week ago. Third hour stayed basically the same with 2-3 girls dropping and one girl switching from fourth hour, while fourth hour dropped from 35 students to 28 or 27. The girls only outnumber the boys by a margin of 4 or 5 now. I couldn't stay for the eighth grade choirs, as I had a doctor's appointment after lunch.

New semester also means new sixth grade vocal exploratory class. We'll have four 4-week classes of sixth graders, the second of these classes being the one I get free rein over. For now I'm observing how Lizzy sets up the class from the beginning, and jumping in a little bit later.

I really got to see Lizzy put her game face on for this first hour today. She was pretty neutral, with maybe a hint of pleasant, right at the beginning. However, a few students decided to be defiant and try to have the last word. Lizzy quickly jumped on it, explaining that that is not appropriate behavior, that "I don't expect to hear 'whatever' from you, because I would never use that word with you."

A few of these students started very clearly having silent conversations across the group/aisle, and Lizzy nipped those right in the bud. This is something that I think I will probably have a more difficult time picking out, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually.

Going through the main rules of the classroom, she boiled everything down to respect beginning on the inside. "If you respect yourself, will you be responsible for your actions? How about your own safety?"

Something I hadn't heard Lizzy say about respect was something that I found quite valuable:

"Let's talk about a phrase that most of you have heard, and I'm sure some of you even believe. This is not a phrase that I will ever use: 'You have to earn my respect.' "

I was a little surprised, but it occurred to me that the phrase didn't exactly fall into line with the atmosphere Lizzy's choirs have. She continued.

"You might be sitting there thinking, 'Ms. Bennett, you can have my respect when you've earned it.' Let me tell you about someone who never once told people to earn his respect." During a short pause, I briefly considered who she might be referring to, but I didn't guess correctly: "Martin Luther King, Jr."

A murmur of approval and agreement shuddered through the sixth grade class. From this point every eye was on Lizzy.

"Was Dr. King a respected man? Is he?" A sea of bobbing heads prompted her to continue. "When Dr. King was being attacked with fire hoses by those in authority, did he stop and say, "I'm sorry, but you need to earn my respect?" An ocean of swaying heads. "No, he respected them for being fellow human beings, and for their positions of authority over him."

She leaned in. "I will show each and every one of you respect, and I expect respect from each one of you." They nodded in agreement.

Lizzy also very quickly uses classroom rules as examples of real-life application. "You know, those students who answer all the questions, they're gonna grow up and be your bosses one day. Don't let them be the only 'smart' ones! People who answer questions and put themselves out there are the ones who get hired and promoted. Don't you want to be promoted and be a boss one day?"

"You forgot your pencil/agenda/folder? What is the policeman going to say when you've forgotten your license and you're speeding?"

Things like that get the students thinking, "Oh, maybe I'm learning something I actually can carry with me and use in my everyday life.

The theme for this marking with the sixth graders is probably going to be "nipping things in the bud." Therein lies my discipline goal. Ready, go!

[I'd write something more coherent and definitive to end this, but pain meds are making me sleepy. Cheerio!]

No comments:

Post a Comment