Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Finals Countdown

Today was my first real day of proctoring exams for the seventh grade choir. It was largely uneventful, and I did a lot of grading. Like, five hours of grading, though I got into a groove the more exams I got through. Lizzy had to leave right at the end of the half-day to go to a conference, so I got to play pretend teacher and listen to my own music while I graded.

Tomorrow morning, I basically get to run the exam for the eighth grade while the sub and the accompanist (whom I will name Mary Bennett) monitor the class for discipline. And this time, I'll be grading the exams as they finish them instead of waiting until everyone is done. Hopefully then I'll be able to leave by 11 or 11:30!

Each class had about twenty/twenty-five minutes after they finished their exams, so they got to choose a movie to watch: This Is It, Hairspray, or (shudder) Annie.

The first class, all girls, unsurprisingly chose Hairspray. A few of them were amused that I knew most of the words to "Good Morning Baltimore," because I was mouthing it while I was grading. And during the "Miss Baltimore Crabs" song, there was one line (about screwing the judges) during which Lizzy loudly "woooooooooo"-ed and asked "SO HOW DO YOU THINK YOU DID ON YOUR TESTS? GOOD? YEAH? OKAY RETURN TO THE MOVIE!" They looked at her confusedly and sort of murmured in reply.

I was kind of surprised by the other seventh grade choir's choice of film. I actually had to count votes for the movies, because it was a close call between Hairspray and (shudder) Annie. For some inexplicable reason, all of the boys voted for Annie, and after a few girls joined their ranks, they had enough notes to win. Lots of girls who voted for Hairspray started complaining, prompting Lizzy to give a small lecture about democracy.

As I put the disc into the player, one of the boys asked me, "Miss Renas, are you a democrat or a republican?"
I simply said, "That's none of your business." Everyone was a little surprised, but laughed it off.

However, the happiest moment of my morning was getting the okay to fast forward through the opening credits of Annie.

I feel like I should write something about the exams, or what we're doing next week or something...but at this point, I'm just glad the week is over and I'm heading up to CMU tomorrow.

Til Monday, then!

No comments:

Post a Comment