While I was toiling in burrito heaven today, I was listening to Q95.5 before I had the chance to change the radio to the oldies station. Because they play the same 8 songs on repeat without even changing the order, the DJ kept going on and on about how unbearably long the title of the new Usher song is: "DJ Got Us Falling In Love Again." At a rating of 10.7 (10 syllables and 7 words, my own scale), he rated this particular title as "long as hell."
Really? Do all of the titles for everything only have to be 4 words or less? I understand that most songs can be boiled down to that, but really, that song would be referred to as that title even if it weren't official. It's the most memorable part of the song. I'm kind of glad most songs don't work that way though, otherwise Imogen Heap's Hide and Seek would be known as "Mmm What You Say," Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" would be called "Born And Raised In SOUTH DETROIT," and Regina Spektor's "Dance Anthem of the 80's" would be known as "Sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeleeeeleleeelelee eep," But I digress.
I guess songs like "(I Can't Help) Falling In Love With You" by Elvis Presley would probably give that DJ a minor headache, only to be cured by songs with names like Crash Test Dummies' "Mmm Mmm Mmm" and "No!" by They Might Be Giants.
It's at this point that I'm reminded of Stephen Fry's podgram about language, and how we should use words for the joy of using and listening to them, just like music. Yes, we use music to express emotion in the same way we use words, but ultimately music is utilized in order to get some enjoyment or pleasure out of it. I would go on about this, but I moved tangentially, there.
With song titles like "There's A Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven't Thought Of It Yet" and "A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More 'Touch Me,'" Fall Out Boy and Panic! at the Disco would probably give this DJ an aneurysm. It's no wonder the only Panic song I regularly hear on the radio is "I Write Sins Not Tragedies."
Album names can be ridiculously long, and one that would probably send this DJ into a fit of epilepsy is Fiona Apple's When the Pawn....
I didn't really have a direction for this to go, I just felt like complaining about the stupid DJ on Q95.5's Mojo in the Morning. Kelli will be posting a much more eloquent and entertaining blog about songs that have very silly beginnings soon, so head on over there!
i personally am quite fond of the fall out boy songs:
ReplyDelete"i'm like a lawyer with the way i'm always trying to get you off"
"our lawyer made us change the name of this song so we wouldn't get sued"
"tell that mick he just made my list of things to do today"
"reinventing the wheel to run myself over"
and, my personal favorite,
"if it's not a side effect of the cocaine, i am thinking it must be love."
and of course, there's always frank turner's "i knew prufrock before he got famous", and the best one of ALL, i think, is definitely say anything's "i will never write an obligatory song about being on the road and missing someone".