Friday, July 30, 2010

Life After "Jest"

I've decided I need to be more well-read. I'm compiling a list of books to read when I'm done with Infinite Jest in September--because I WILL FINISH IT by September 13, darn it.

This is what I have so far in the vein of classics (EDIT: though not in this order):

Life of Pi - Yann Martel
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen, because it's been far, far too long
Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
1984 - George Orwell (so I can compare the two)
The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera
Everything is Illuminated - Jonathan Safran Foer
Something by Gogol
Something by Dostoevsky
House of Leaves - Mark Danielewski (a project I started twice and never finished)

Other books:
A Song of Love and Death - Peter Conrad
Mozart's Sister - Nancy Moser
Under the Dome - Stephen King

That's my list as it stands right now, and I am fully aware that there are others I want or need to read, but I'm kind of distracted by the organ music emanating from my neighbors' house. It's a strange combination of sprightly and unsettling.

EDIT: I've decided to follow Sarah's example and write up an actual written list of books I want to read. It will be easier for me to keep track of, and I do so love actually crossing things off of lists. Also, my list is continually growing, but I think this is a good place to start. Sarah threw The Bell Jar at me today and I think that will be my first read after Jest. Also Animal Farm and The Giver are in there, since I haven't read them in ten years and I feel I'd understand them better now.

QUESTION: So far I have two requests to do buddy reading. Monica and I are going to read Everything is Illuminated together up at school, and Sarah and I want to read 1984 and Brave New World together and discuss them. Anyone else want to pair up for a specific book? After Bell Jar I plan on doing the buddy books first, so let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Heart of Darkness = amazing, but fucking confusing at times

    Everything Illuminated = Remind me to bring my copy up and i'll read it with you and we can discuss it because I own it but never have read it.

    Something by Dostoevsky should be Notes From Underground because it's shorter and has the same themes as most of his other novels and is amazing in my opinion

    Brave New World: When you read this, explain the ending to me. I never understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Moni! Maybe I'll stick Illuminated in after Heart of Darkness so we can at least start reading it this fall :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. brian and i have discussed this a few times; "house of leaves" doesn't want to be read.

    ReplyDelete