As soon as the students found out we had a sub, they were gone. Squirrelly, antsy, [other animal]y, and in some classes, overwhelmingly disrespectful. The tempos dragged so much that I had to snap the beat through pretty much every song and every phrase that we rehearsed. Between that and the name game in first hour, I got a nasty blood blister on my right middle finger from snapping. It's pretty much tops.
I used nonverbals (hand gestures, "Queen Victoria" stare, proximity) but fifth and sixth hour especially just did not give a flying fart about anything. I would give the boys a look in sixth hour, and as soon as I turned around, they would continue to mutter. Nothing I did mattered until I actually said, "When I look away, I should not hear more talking," in the middle of another sentence.
Basically it came down to me not having the energy to get on them about their disrespect right from the start. I let the day slide through my fingers, and I just accepted it.
It was a rough day, and I'm glad I only have to really deal with first and sixth hour tomorrow. I planned out my lessons after school, and I'm feeling okay about tomorrow. I just have to really focus on maintaining my authority, and having zero tolerance for disrespect.
Tomorrow is another day and a fresh slate. For tonight, I'm going to forget about everything school-related and enjoy an evening of stir-fry and Supernatural with my cousin. I think that's the best plan.
No comments:
Post a Comment